Good morning, hello! It’s me, Carlos Hernandez, your host of the Tampa Daily. Let’s get this Saturday started off right with a quick review of everything you need to know about what’s going on around town, including updates on…
Today is National Homemade Cookies Day. It’s a great time to get together and make some cookies with people you care about.
But first, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny. High: 83 Low: 68.
🏡 Attention, real estate pros in Tampa! We’re now offering an exclusive sponsorship opportunity for an agent interested in attracting local clients and standing apart from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Tampa today:
1. The Humane Society of Tampa Bay cared for animals in need as Hurricane Ian passed through the state this week. Someone dropped off a stray dog right as preparations were being made by volunteers. A team stayed during the storm and helped animals stay calm amid heavy winds and rain. (Tampa Patch)
2. A Tampa woman who fled Hurricane Ian to South Carolina unfortunately found herself in the path of the storm once again on Friday. Hurricane Ian landed in South Carolina Friday as a Category 1 hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph. Tropical storm winds reached as far out as 485 miles from the center. (WTSP, AccuWeather)
3. Tampa Electric Company (TECO) says the company expects to restore the majority of power to customers by Sunday night. The power company warned that some areas of Hillsborough County and Polk County could take longer due to “more complex damage.” 43 percent of those impacted have had their power restores as of Friday afternoon. (WFLA)
4. Polk County Schools is still unsure if classes will resume on Monday. 77 of the district’s schools were without power on Thursday. The district said it is working as quick as possible to get students back in the classroom and updates will be made on social media channels and their website. (ABC Action News)
5. Leonidas, a world-renowned Belgian chocolate shop, is planning to have its grand opening celebration in Wesley Chapel on Oct. 8 and Oct. 9 from 2 to 9 p.m. The store sells fresh chocolates, truffles, pralines, and more and boasts over 40 locations nationwide. During the celebration guests can enjoy chocolate making demonstrations, music, samples, and more. (That’s So Tampa)
Today in Tampa:
From my notebook:
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today! See you all tomorrow for your next update.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Tampa Daily? Contact me at SouthTampa@Patch.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.